Netflix has announced it has a series order for the supernatural horror series, ARCHIVE 81. The show will be loosely based on the found footage horror podcast of the same name. The show will be EP’d by James Wan and his Atomic Monster shingle. Get more details on the show below.
From The Press Release
From Creator / Showrunner / Executive Producer Rebecca Sonnenshine Executive Produced by James Wan’s Atomic Monster and Directed by Rebecca Thomas
- Netflix today announced a series order for Archive 81, an original story loosely inspired by the popular found footage horror podcast.
- Logline: When archivist Dan Turner (Athie) takes a mysterious job restoring a collection of damaged videotapes from 1994, he finds himself reconstructing the work of documentary filmmaker Melody Pendras (Shihabi) and her investigation into a dangerous cult. As Dan is drawn into Melody’s story, he becomes convinced he can save her from the terrifying end she met 25 years ago.
- Cast (additional cast to be announced):
- Mamoudou Athie (Jurassic World: Dominion; Uncorked; Oh Jerome, No) will play Dan Turner.
- Dina Shihabi (Ya Bint, Altered Carbon, Ramy, Jack Ryan) is Melody Pendras.
- Format: Drama; 8 x 1-hour episodes
- Writer/Showrunner/Executive Producer: Rebecca Sonnenshine (The Vampire Diaries, The Boys)
- Director/Executive Producer: Rebecca Thomas (Stranger Things, Limetown) serves as Executive Producer. She will direct half of the season, including the first episode.
- Executive Producers: James Wan’s Atomic Monster (MacGyver; The Conjuring Universe film franchise; andthe upcoming Malignant and There’s Someone Inside Your House) –James Wan and Michael Clear are Executive Producers; Rob Hackett is a Co-Executive Producer.
- Writer/Executive Producer: Paul Harris Boardman (The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Deliver Us From Evil) developed the original script.
- The original Archive 81 podcast was created by Marc Sollinger and Daniel Powell who serve as co-producers on the series.
- Rebecca Sonnenshine quote: “With Archive 81, we’re hoping to give the supernatural horror genre a new twist — while keeping a dark, deeply emotional romance as its core. Alongside the talented Mamoudou Athie and Dina Shihabi, and visionary partners Atomic Monster and Rebecca Thomas, I’m excited to take Netflix viewers on a terrifying and visually thrilling adventure.”